Website Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM)
Motherhouse for a congregation of religious sisters
Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood
Charitable Trusts of the Congregation of Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood
Charity Registration Numbers (England and Wales): 232098 (Scotland): SC039352
As an employee you will be expected to uphold the mission statement of Ladywell which is:
In Ladywell we seek to create a hospitable Franciscan place,
with a peaceful atmosphere rooted in Gospel values,
which nurtures life for everyone
Job Title : Registered Nurse
Department: La Verna
1. Job Details
(a) Responsible to: Care Manager La Verna
Responsible for (subordinates) Carers La Verna
(c) Working Hours: 35 per week
5 shifts over 5 days
(d) Salary Range – Band 5 range
(e) Essential Qualifications:
Registered with the NMC and holding a current RGN PIN Number
This post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service
(f) Essential Experience:
Experience in the care of elderly is desirable
2. Job Summary (Description of main purpose of job):
To assist in the care of the resident Sisters in La Verna under the direction of the Care Manager
3. Key Tasks:
Delivery of care to the Sisters:
· To lead a team of care staff that provides excellence in clinical practice and ensures that the sisters’ rights to privacy, dignity, choice autonomy and safety are actively promoted at all times
· To respect the confidentiality of the Sisters and the Home life at all times, including when you are using social networking systems
· To prescribe, promote and assist in personal hygiene, mobility, toileting and continence training for all sisters, in conjunction with care assistants.
· To promote the general physical appearance of sisters at all times
· To assist in the serving of meals and feeding of sisters monitoring adequate fluid and food intake.
· To help to promote a better quality of life for the sisters by encouraging them to join in activities and in general conversation, with the assistance of the care staff
· To demonstrate effective communication skills with the sisters, their families and friends, being aware of opportunities for health education; providing information and advice where appropriate
· To facilitate and engage in positive working relationships with the GP’s, hospitals and other medical professionals, acting as the sister’s advocate where necessary to ensure the best outcomes
· To attend GP rounds , as per Duty Roster
· To provide nurse escort duties when required
· To undertake drug rounds at prescribed times- ensuring sufficient drugs are available for the 28 days cycle.
· To administer all medications as prescribed and to sign all medical records appropriately
· To ensure all medication cupboards/trolley are kept locked at all times.
· To ensure that accountability for and communication of sisters care is maintained consistently throughout the 24 hour period of care
· To ensure all recording charts, when in use, are kept up to date, including monthly baseline observations
· To carry out nursing procedures as necessary, which may include blood glucose estimation, blood pressure measurements, temperature measurement, urine testing, etc
· To design, implement and review care plans for all the sisters following needs assessment
· To be fully aware of all agreed emergency procedures and be prepared to take a lead role in any acute or non- clinical emergency , in the absence of the Care Manager or until specialist assistance arrives
· To assist the sisters with their personal needs and ensure they enjoy a good quality of life by providing a friendly caring environment
· To lead and supervise a team of care assistance in carrying out their key worker roles
· In the absence of the Care Manager, whilst on duty , to take charge of the Home, ensuring that there are sufficient staff to carry out all duties whilst ensuring the Home continues to provide a safe and secure environment for the sisters
· To demonstrate effective time management and leadership skills and work closely with the Care Manager to develop own managerial skills
· To participate in the induction, mentorship, teaching and supervision of the care staff to enhance learning and improve outcomes
· To be responsible for an area of clinical competence and complete all appropriate nursing audits as requested by the Care Manager
· At the beginning of the shift, to check the Diary/Communication book and Appointments book to ensure that no messages or appointments are missed.
· To manage the home daily staff allocation system
· To countersign the Timesheets for Care Staff at the end of the shift and for the Shift Leader going off duty.
· To liaise with the relevant home departments: eg kitchen, maintenance, and communicate any needs appropriately
· To deal with short-notice home absences as and when required
· To undertake any training necessary for the completion of your duties
· To attend staff and other meetings, as requested
· To work as a Team Leader recognising the skills of each person.
· To undertake any other appropriate duties as directed by the Care Manager
· To read and promote the Home Policies and Procedures on Health and Safety in accordance with the Employee Handbook and the Health and Safety Executive.
· To be aware of all health and safety and fire regulations at all times and practice accordingly.
· To read and implement the Home Policy and Procedure on Infection Control
· To ensure the appropriate segregation of waste material. That it is disposed of in accordance with current legislation and Home Policy and Procedures for Infection Control
· To report and record all complaints, accidents, happenings and untoward incidents to the Care Manager, or to Director or Deputy Director of Operations, in her absence
· To be aware of the NMC Code of Conduct and adhere to the Code at all times
· Ensure that NMC Registration is current
· To adhere to the Policy related to personal appearance and the uniform policy whilst on duty
· To ensure that all medications, including controlled drugs are ordered, stored, administered and disposed of in accordance with the home policies and procedures
Note: This description is not intended to establish a total definition of the job, but an outline of the duties.